24.6.09

The hair necessities



I've decided to return to my roots and have dyed my hair dark brown. Whether Mother Nature intended for my locks to have a faint coppery tinge is up for debate, but that's what the formula did, so that's what I'm stuck with (whether I like it or not). Dyeing one's hair can be such a minefield. I used to work at a magazine where I was sent discount cards for some of the most gorgeous hair salons in London. Now I'm leant over a bathtub, shower head in hand, trying to make sure I haven't dyed my face in the process. Going freelance has not been without its merits, but I sure do miss those freebie styling sessions.

I remember when I was growing up, my little sister (intent on emulating Jennifer Aniston's ubiquitous 'Rachel' cut) reached for the bleach. She followed the instructions carefully, making sure every strand was covered from root to tip, then sat down in front of the TV to let it work its magic. The storyteller in me likes to think that she was actually watching an episode of Friends when she realised that she should have washed the solution out 40 minutes previously. Whichever show had diverted her attention, the damage was done. I found her that evening, face red from crying and with swollen eyes, hiding under her duvet. Her hair was the colour of Lurpak, with not a pinch of pigment left in it. It was kind of hilarious. And to really rub salt into the wound, the hairdresser made her dye it gravy-brown to minimise the damage.

That was way back when, however, and today's formulas are much kinder to your hair. It's hard to say which at-home colourants are the best, because they all harm your locks to some extent. The secret is to optimise your hair's condition afterwards through deep-conditioners, heat-protectors and the like. With the right care, a bleached barnet really can look as healthy as a virgin mane.
I'm looking after my new hue with a combination of L'Oréal Elvive Nutri-Gloss Light Shampoo and Conditioner, £2.25 each (I use the light version on my fine hair but dryer locks can stick with the original), and Kérastase Ciment Thermique, approx £17 (an incredible milky lotion that you apply to wet hair as little as once a month, leave in, and which is re-activated every time you heat-style it, prompting another boost of protection and shine. I love this stuff). For girls with a bottomless wallet, Frédérik Fekkai Advance Care Overnight Hair Repair, £137, leaves hair noticeably softer and smoother when washed out the following morning, but for a budget-friendly buy, John Frieda Frizz-Ease Night CremeSerum, £14.67, gives a brilliant result at a snip of the price.

Images: Frederik Fekkai; John Frieda; Kerastase; media.photobucket.com.

3 comments:

  1. oh I love Kerastase products. They make your hair sooo beautiful! soft and shiny!


    *loves*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sis! ...it was pretty bad! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Kerastase products are awesome. But they're really expensive! LOL. :D
    I wish I can afford them though...

    ReplyDelete