9.7.09

we're ALL going on a summer holiday


Poppy Loves Lipgloss is going on holiday next week. That starter sentence sums up all sorts of sunny, glamorous imagery involving sand, bikinis and waiters named Diego. Sadly, those wish-you-were-here mental postcards can poof! into thin air, because the reality is far harsher.

Two words: overnight ferry.

And not just me and the wee bairn, either, but a shared cabin with my mother and two sisters, all of whom snore, fart and sleep-shout. When we arrive at our destination (Brittany, France) this motley crew of 5 will continue our boarding-school nightmare by sharing the same room for a week. All in aid of celebrating my grandmother's 80th birthday. In hindsight, maybe the lack of bikinis is a good thing.

In anticipation of my 'holiday' - which is beginning to look more like a sleep-deprivation camp - I am stocking up on prettifying potions that'll work their magic while I chase the elusive zzz's.

The Poppy Loves Lipgloss 'feel-like-merde, look-ok' shopping list:
Estée Lauder Stress Relief Eye Mask, £22 for 10 pairs. Expensive, so I only use these on special occasions/emergencies (this trip counts as both). You gently stick these pre-moistened pads under your eyes and let the aloe vera and cucumber formula soothe stress-lines and de-puff bags a little (they're not miracle workers, but they make enough of a difference to be worth the £'s).
Marks & Spencer Formula Instant Fix Midnight Beauty Cream, £15. I've not tried this overnight cream myself yet, but I gave a bottle to my mother to test and she came back raving about it... which means I plan to steal it back on this holiday. Mwa ha ha. Failing that, I'll pack my beloved Darphin Aromatic Purifying Balm, approx £37, an overnight balm that makes skin look clear, soft and even upon waking (as opposed to pillow-wrinkled and saliva-encrusted, which is my usual morning look).
Liz Earle Brightening Treatment Mask, £11.75. I'll admit to being lazy with the whole cleanse-tone-moisturise routine, but the one product I'll always make time for is a good face mask, and this here is the best mask money can buy. You can leave it on for a little as 30 seconds and it leaves skin looking fresh, bright and glowing. Heart forever.

Images: Estee Lauder

2 comments: